Find your future at Fitzroy
We are a privately-owned metallurgical coal mine in the renowned Bowen Basin of Central Queensland. Our team is made up of individuals who want to deliver value through innovation and who are given the opportunity to put their potential to work. We are nimble and ever evolving and have an exciting opportunity for a Control Room Operator to join our team at Carborough Downs Coal Mine.
About the role
Forming part of the Outbye Department, the primary purpose of the Control Room Operator is to manage and control the shift underground communication and monitoring strategies to enable safe and efficient operations to occur. The position also provides the focal point for communication within the mine from a production and safety perspective.
The Control Room Operator is the person appointed to be authorised by the underground mine manager to acknowledge gas alarms, as well as fulfil the duties as required by the relevant Emergency Response duty card; this specifies that the position provides the communication / recording function during a significant incident.
Fitzroy Requirements – attitude is everything
Our workplace is dynamic and open to challenging thought and driving change. To be successful in this role you will have qualifications in a Mining related discipline and experience in underground coal mining is preferred. To be a successful candidate you will be a strategic thinker with superior reasoning and problem-solving skills and excellent interpersonal skills.
Key Responsibilities of the role will include:
- Maintain a working knowledge of the mine layout, airflows, relevant TARPS and issues associated with gas in the underground environment, the TARPS and continually monitor the gas levels throughout the underground mine, and gas drainage equipment operation, acknowledging and recording alarms and initiating further communication and actions as appropriate for the gas level present
- Assist the operations team to deliver production targets safely, optimally, and in accordance with the annual mine plan
- Receive and forward internal and external work-related information to the appropriate personnel using DAC, beltped, two-way radio, telephone, email or PA system as required
- Escalate major delays and issues to relevant stakeholders and Managers in a timely manner
- Undertake the statutory checks of the mine’s communication systems
- Analyse bag samples of the underground atmosphere with the gas chromatograph equipment, notifying the appropriate persons depending on the results
- Maintain the gas chromatograph equipment including calibration as required to ensure accuracy of results
- Monitor the fire alarm system for the surface buildings acknowledging and recording alarms and initiating further communication and actions as appropriate in the circumstances
- Convey shift production reports to Management as required
- Organise breakdown resources & materials as required by the Shift Supervisor
- Monitor, record, assist in diagnostics & communicate Citect environmental monitoring system
- Maintain Manning list for whereabouts of underground personnel, a location of equipment report, Absent Notice Book notifications as required and a shift CRO run sheet
- Monitor the site through the video, communication and boom gate entry systems
- Work in accordance with the statutory authorisation in accordance with s226(2)(b) of the CMS&HR 2001
- Maintain occupational 1st Aid qualifications and apply first aid where emergency response duties allow, or notify the appropriate internal or external 1st aid providers when emergency response duties do not allow
- Monitors and operates Control Room equipment
- Inputting and maintaining production, delay and coal tonnage data and statistics in the appropriate database
These roles are Moranbah based; providing great lifestyle options just 2 hours from Mackay and the Whitsunday coast.
- Choose to live in Moranbah and receive accommodation assistance or choose DIDO/FIFO with accommodation provided in Moranbah or Coppabella while on shift.
- 7/7 Roster
- Great salaries to attract and retain the right people
- Generous staff performance bonus
- Subsidised health insurance
- Salary sacrifice available for novated car leasing and FIFO flights
- Income protection insurance
- Onsite physiotherapy appointments and vaccines for flu and COVID
- Personal development encouraged with reimbursement for approved study programs
- Healthy lifestyle support through gym and sporting club membership subsidies
Got what it takes?
To be successful in this role you will have the following skills:
- Previous experience in an underground coal mining environment and general working knowledge of the Coal Mining Industry
- Previous involvement in emergency response management and understanding of Occupational Health & Safety requirements within the workplace
- Proven ability to effectively work within a team environment
- Experience in identifying and implementing opportunities for continuous improvement
- Exceptional attention to detail and the initiative to follow up on results to ensure accuracy and timeliness of work
- Ability to multi-task, manage competing priorities and effectively time manage
- Advanced record keeping skills including minute taking and document storage and retrieval
- Excellent interpersonal, cooperative and facilitation skills as part of interfacing with various levels of management and external bodies and agencies
- Ability to work in high pressure and competing priority and ambiguous environments for sustained periods
We are careful when selecting people to make sure that we get the right “fit” and that we select people who share our values and ambitions. If you think that you have the necessary qualifications, experience and passion and Fitzroy sounds like the right place for you, apply now!