We are a privately-owned metallurgical coal mining company in the renowned Bowen Basin of Central Queensland. Our team is made up of individuals who want to deliver value through innovation and who are given the opportunity to put their potential to work. Fitzroy Mining Operations own and operate Carborough Downs Coal Mine, Broadlea Opencut and are developing the Ironbark No.1 Project, the newest Longwall mine in Australia.
Ironbark No.1 is located within the Bowen Basin and offers an exciting opportunity to be part of a new mine development, join the team, and set the standards from the onset. We are looking for an energetic and experienced Senior Mining Engineer to join the team and develop a new mine.
About the role
The Senior Mining Engineer is a critical role within the Technical Services department, responsible for developing and implementing robust mine design and schedules for operating functions as well as coordinating a result driven team.
Fitzroy Requirements – attitude is everything
Our workplace is dynamic and open to challenging thought and driving change. To be successful in this role, you will have qualifications in a Mining related discipline and extensive experience in underground coal mining. It is envisaged that you have proven experience with mine planning, scheduling, mine design and contract management. Coupled with this, the successful candidate will be a strategic thinker with superior reasoning and problem-solving skills, excellent interpersonal skills and a proven track record leading teams.
Key Responsibilities of the role will include:
- Actively participating in the development, implementation and maintenance of documents required for compliance with the site Safety, Health Management System (SHMS), and the QLD CMH&S Act and Regulations.
- Actively supporting the Technical Services Manager in the development of accurate short term operational schedules through the 13-week planning and Permit to Mine processes.
- Assist with the optimisation of the Life of Mine Plan, through application of sound mining engineering design and strategic consideration.
- Prepare information for corporate reporting in a professional manner.
- Drive a continual improvement culture within the Technical Department through leadership and coordination.
- Conducting project planning, producing project schedules, analysing project progress and reporting on the project planning indicators.
- Assisting production staff in the completion of projects wherever necessary.
- Assist with the design and implementation of gas drainage strategy.
- Assist with the preparation of budgets and implement cost control across the department.
This role is Moranbah based; providing great lifestyle options just 2 hours from Mackay and the Whitsunday coast.
- Choose to live in Moranbah and receive accommodation assistance or choose DIDO/FIFO with accommodation provided in Moranbah or Coppabella while on shift
- Great 9-day fortnight roster – 5/2 -4/3
- Great salaries to attract and retain the right people
- Generous staff bonus is paid quarterly
- Subsidised health insurance
- Salary sacrifice available for novated car leasing and FIFO flights
- Income protection insurance
- Onsite physiotherapy appointments and vaccines for flu and COVID
- Personal development encouraged with reimbursement for approved study programs
- Healthy lifestyle support through gym and sporting club membership subsidies
Got what is takes?
To be successful in this role you will have the following skills:
- Minimum of 3 years underground coal mining experience
- Mining Engineering Degree or equivalent
- Advanced skills with Cad and mine planning/scheduling software
- Experience in Geotech and/or ventilation and gas drainage highly regarded
- Ability to manage and lead a team to be a high performing team
- Ability to drive accountability and achieve results
- Strong focus on systems and processes
We are careful when selecting people to make sure that we get the right “fit” and that we select people who share our values and ambitions. If you think that you have the necessary qualifications, experience and passion and Fitzroy sounds like the right place for you, apply now!
Applicants must already be based in Australia due to COVID travel restrictions. An appointment will only be made when the right candidate has been found.
Submissions from recruitment agencies will be accepted but no commitments are made unless a recommended candidate is selected.